Abdullah Yusuf Azzam
Place of Birth: Silat al-Harithiya, Palestine;
Religion: Sunni Islam;
Occupation: Islamic scholar and theologian;
Known as: Father of Global Jihad;
Azzam, known as co-founder of Al-Qaeda, raised funds, recruited and organised the international Islamic volunteer effort of Afghan Arabs through the 1980s, and emphasised the political aspects of Islam.
He is believed to have had a role as an ideologist in founding the Islamist Hamas movement in Palestine. He was also a co-founder of Lashkar-e-Taiba.
Azzam was a teacher and mentor of Osama bin Laden and persuaded bin Laden to come to Afghanistan and help the jihad. They both established al-Qaeda.
In the 1980s, Azzam travelled throughout the Middle East, Europe and North America, including 50 cities in the United States, to raise money and preach about jihad.
He emphasized the violence of religion, preaching that, “those who believe that Islam can flourish (and) be victorious without Jihad, fighting, and blood are deluded and have no understanding of the nature of this religion.”
He once stated, “we shall continue the jihad no matter how long the way, until the last breath and the last beat of the pulse – or until we see the Islamic state established.”
- El Sayyid Nosair El Sayyid Nosair is an Egyptian-born American citizen, convicted of… [+]
- Report: Jund al Aqsa’s campaign of violence In early October, the jihadist group Jund al Aqsa swore… [+]
- Osama Bin Laden Osama was the founder of al-Qaeda in 1988. This organization… [+]
- Lashkar-e-Taiba Lashkar-e-Taiba is one of the largest and most active terrorist… [+]
- Al-Qaeda Al-Qaeda is a global militant Islamist organization founded by Osama… [+]
■■■■ See Full List ▸
We fight against terrorists and their supporters. LLL releases entities who are connected in any way to a particular terrorist group or agenda. Support us in this fight for better and free world. Live And Let Live | Global Fight Against Terrorism Funding - Less Money, Less Terror.