At least 25 terror plots have been foiled since 2017 the Westminster attack
Article RadarTHIS ARTICLE CONNECT:
Twenty-five terror plots have been foiled in the UK since the Westminster attack in 2017, a minister has told Sky News.
Security services are currently working on 800 live investigations into potential terrorists, security minister James Brokenshire revealed today.
It comes after three people died and another three were seriously injured in a terror attack in a park in Reading on Saturday evening.
The attacker, Khairi Saadallah – a 25-year-old Libyan refugee who was living in the Berkshire town, was known to MI5 last year, Sky News understands.
Speaking to Kay Burley@Breakfast, Mr Brokenshire said counter-terrorism police have successfully prevented 25 attacks on UK soil since extremist Khalid Masood killed five in Westminster in March 2017.
He described the UK’s counter-terror approach as “world-leading”, adding that the government had increased Britain’s counter-terror budget by £90m this year to £900m annually.
The minister refused to be drawn on the identity of the Reading suspect, which has not been officially confirmed by police.
But he said: “We will be looking towards a prosecution, so I don’t want to say anything to cut across that.
“Our police and security services are looking at all lines of enquiry. We are looking at all of the facts and if there are policies that need to be altered, that’s precisely what we’ll do.”
Lessons have been cancelled today at the secondary school in Wokingham where the first named victim of the Reading attack, James Furlong, taught.
Source: Sky News