Bosnia state court charges suspected Al-Nusra terrorist
The Court of Bosnia and Herzegovina has charged Munib Ahmetspahic – who was previously acquitted of having a role in the 2011 attack on the US embassy in Bosnia – with membership of a terrorist formation in Syria.
“A prosecutor of the Department for Terrorism has been informed that the indictment against Munib Ahmetspahic has been confirmed in entirety,” the State Prosecution said on Thursday.
The Prosecution said it would question nine witnesses and experts in the case, besides providing evidence.
Ahmetspahic, born in Zenica in 1990, is charged with staying on the territory of Syria and Iraq from 2013 to 2018 as a member of Al-Nusrah Front paramilitary formation.
He is charged with having joined terrorist organizations, and with having participated in battles and terrorist activities, in which he was severely wounded in Syria.
Ahmetspahic was previously tried for connections with the attack on the US embassy in Sarajevo on October 28, 2011, for which the gunman, Mevlid Jasarevic, was found quilty.
Jasarevic had fired shots at the embassy in Sarajevo for some 50 minutes, firing at least 105 bullets, wounding a policeman guarding the building and threatening embassy officials.
Ahmetspahic went on trial with Jasarevic in 2012, but was acquitted of having participated in the organisation of a terrorist group.
Source: Balkan Insight