Eight Afghan security forces killed in Taliban terror attack
Article RadarTHIS ARTICLE CONNECT:
Affected Countries: afghanistan;
A suicide bomber drove a vehicle loaded with explosives into a base for Afghan defence forces in the country’s east, killing at least eight security personnel in an attack claimed by the Taliban.
The pre-dawn assault on Saturday took place in the restive province of Nangarhar where the Taliban has claimed several deadly assaults targeting government forces.
It came two days after the Pentagon said the Taliban was not living up to promises made in a deal signed with Washington last year, including reducing violence and cutting ties with al-Qaeda.
The eight were killed when the bomber hit the base with a Humvee, the office of Nangarhar’s governor said in a statement.
The deputy head of Nangarhar’s provincial council, Ajmal Omar, confirmed the attack but put the number of dead soldiers at 15 with five wounded.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said his group carried out the attack.
Source: Al Jazeera