Skip to Content



April 16, 2021 » Today News » /

Eight people killed in attack at FedEx facility in Indianapolis

Eight people killed in attack at FedEx facility in Indianapolis

 Affected Countries: united-states;

Eight people have been shot and killed by a gunman at a FedEx facility in the US city of Indianapolis, police have confirmed.

The deadly attack happened at the facility on Mirabel Road in Indianapolis, near Indianapolis international airport, late on Thursday night.

Indianapolis police department spokesperson Genae Cook said the male shooter is believed to have taken his own life, saying there was no longer any “active threat” to the community.

Multiple other people were injured in the mass shooting and were taken to hospital, Ms Cook added – with one person said to be critically ill.

A witness who works at the FedEx facility told WISH-TV that he saw a man with a gun after hearing gunshots. “I saw a man with a submachine gun of some sort, an automatic rifle, and he was firing in the open,” said Jeremiah Miller said.

Another man told WTTV that his niece was sitting in her car in the driver’s seat when gunfire erupted. “She got shot on her left arm,” said Parminder Singh. “She’s fine, she’s in the hospital now.”

Mr Singh added that his niece did not know the shooter.

FedEx earlier said it was cooperating with authorities, adding: “We are aware of the tragic shooting at our FedEx ground facility near the Indianapolis airport. Safety is our top priority, and our thoughts are with all those who are affected.”

Ian Johnston, whose wife works at the facility, told reporters she had been in contact. “My wife works in there and she texted me to tell me there’s an active shooter and we communicated back and forth for a while, she’s since notified me she’s okay.”

He added: “After I communicated with her for a while, then it went silent for a while, so I came here just to see what was going on and she texted me I’m okay.”

Family members with loved ones who work at the FedEx facility were told gathered at a local hotel to await word on loved ones.

Some said employees aren’t allowed to have their phones with them while working shifts at the facility, making it difficult to contact them.

Police were expected to give another update on Friday morning, but the exact time of a news conference wasn’t immediately available.

Source: Independent

Select Language »