Islamic State terrorist group claims responsibility for the US troops deaths
Two US soldiers, a Pentagon civilian and a military contractor have been killed in a bomb blast in Manbij, Syria. Speaking after the attack, US Vice President Mike Pence said the “Islamic State” “has been defeated.”
Two US soldiers, a Defense Department civilian and a military contractor were killed in a bomb attack on a restaurant in the northern Syrian city of Manbij on Wednesday.
The Pentagon said: “US service members were killed during an explosion while conducting a routine patrol in Syria today. We are still gathering information and will share additional details at a later time.”
Reuters news agency quoted eyewitnesses who claimed that the US soldiers were meeting with local US-backed militia representatives at the restaurant at the time of the attack. The witnesses said, “An explosion hit near a restaurant, targeting the Americans, and there were some forces from the Manbij Military Council with them.”
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which is based in Britain and works with a network of locals in Syria, said 16 people were killed and several others injured in the suicide bombing. The terror group “Islamic State” (IS) claimed responsibility for the attack.
The attack came less than one month after US President Donald Trump made the surprise announcement that he would immediately withdraw the remaining 2,000 US troops from Syria. Trump, who has described Syria as nothing but “sand and death,” said troops were being pulled out because IS had been defeated.
Although troops remain in place, some equipment has been taken out of the country. Trump’s announcement led to the resignation of Secretary of Defense James Mattis, as well as drawing strong condemnation from the US’ Kurdish allies in the region.