Over 5,000 dead bodies of civilians found in Islamic State mass graves in Raqqa
The bodies of thousands of civilians killed by the ISIL terrorist group and also in the US airstrikes have been found in mass graves and from under the debris of destroyed buildings in the city of Raqqa, a pro-militant Arabic-language news website said on Sunday.
“A new mass grave has been discovered in Harreh al-Badou region of Raqqa City and over 15 dead bodies have been retrieved from it,” the Arabic-language Zaman al-Vasl quoted Head of Raqqa Civil Team Yasser al-Khamis as saying.
He noted that over 5,100 corpses have been taken out from 16 mass graves and the debris of over 200 ruined building in Eastern part of Raqqa, and said that nearly 700 dead bodies have already been identified.
Al-Khamis noted that the discovered dead bodies belong to the victims of the ISIL crimes and the US-led coalition airstrikes on the region.
Two years after the occupation of the city by the US and its allied militants, dead bodies and mass graves are still found in Raqqa City each week.
In a relevant development in late March, the bodies of over 300 victims of the ISIL and the US air raids, including those of slain women and children, were discovered in mass-graves and from under the rubles of destroyed buildings in Raqqa.
The Hawar News reported at the time that the corpses of 304 people had been unearthed from a mass-grave in Fakhikheh region in Southern Raqqa since early January.
He added that most of the bodies belonged to the civilians, including women and children, noting that some of the victims had been executed.
Meantime, media activists reported that bodies of several civilians, most of them women and children, were pulled out of the debris in al-Adkhar and al-Ta’aminat districts of Raqqa in the past few days.
They said the corpses belonged to the people killed by the ISIL terrorists or in the US coalition airstrikes on Raqqa.