US sanctions five Turkey-based Al-Qaeda supporters
Article RadarTHIS ARTICLE CONNECT:
- Soner Gurleyen Soner Gurleyen, a Turkey-based Turkish national, is an al-Qa’ida extremist and...[+]
- Cebrail Guzel Cebrail Guzel, a Turkish national, is a Turkey-based al-Qa’ida facilitator who...[+]
- Nurettin Muslihan Nurettin Muslihan, a Turkish national, is a Turkey-based al-Qa’ida financial facilitator...[+]
- Muhammad Nasr al-Din al-Ghazlani Muhammad Nasr al-Din al-Ghazlani, an Egyptian national and veteran al-Qa’ida facilitator,...[+]
- Majdi Salim Majdi Salim, a Turkey-based lawyer born in Egypt, is one of...[+]
- Al-Qaeda Al-Qaeda is a global militant Islamist organization founded by Osama bin...[+]
Affected Countries: turkey;
The US Treasury placed five Turkey-based Al-Qaeda facilitators and financiers on its sanctions blacklist on Thursday, as it focuses its attention on the extremist group’s network in the country.
The Treasury said Egypt-born Turkish lawyer Majdi Salim and another Egyptian citizen, Muhammad Nasr al-Din al-Ghazlani, acted as financial couriers for Al-Qaeda in Turkey.
The group, designated by the United States as a terror organization, “used Turkey-based financial couriers… to facilitate funds transfers on behalf of Al-Qaeda, including providing money to the families of imprisoned Al-Qaeda members,” the Treasury said in a statement.
Secretary of State Antony Blinken said “the US will continue to target those who seek to inflict harm on the United states, our citizens and our interests.
The United States has imposed sanctions against five supporters of al-Qa’ida operating in Turkey. We will continue to target those who seek to inflict harm on the United States, our citizens, and our interests.
— Secretary Antony Blinken (@SecBlinken) September 16, 2021