ISIS suspects planning attack captured in Antalya, Turkey
Turkish police in the southern city of Antalya have captured eight suspects linked to the Daesh terrorist group. Five suspects were arrested while others were released pending trial Tuesday.
Police found bomb-making materials in the possession of the arrested suspects in the operation carried out after an intelligence report said that Daesh was planning a bomb attack in the city.
As many as 1,338 suspects, including 694 foreigners, were arrested in Turkey last year for having links to the Daesh terrorist group. Additionally, a total of 339 major terror plots were prevented as a result of the seizure of 247 explosives and 61 bomb vehicles in 2016.
Following a New Year’s attack at a popular Istanbul nightclub where 39 people were killed by a Daesh gunman, Turkey launched nationwide operations that have netted hundreds of suspects.
The Turkish military has also killed a large number of militants through Operation Euphrates Shield in Syria, where the Free Syrian Army (FSA) was supported by the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK) in its fight to retake towns captured by the terrorist group.
Escalated counterterror operations in cities near the Syrian border have netted several Daesh militants in recent weeks.
Last week, five suspects, including a Tajikistani national, were detained in operations against Daesh by anti-terror police in Istanbul. Authorities said the suspects were planning a “sensational” attack before Sunday’s referendum on constitutional changes that will pave the way for a more efficient fight against terrorism according to the government by streamlining anti-terror regulations.
Source: /Daily Sabah