Europe will face even more deadly terrorist attacks in the future
Peter Neumann, head of the International Centre for the Study of Radicalisation at King’s College London says that more attacks are imminent.
He warned that the fanatics who carry out the carnage could be home grown, as ISIS is encouraging supporters in the West to strike out.
He said: I believe that the Islamic state will try to activate the supporters in the West more and more. There still won’t be an incident every day – you do not have to be afraid to go out on the street.
[But] security agencies must be as active as they have been in the past six months.”
The world renowned security expert added that it was important for the security agencies to stay vigilant and do more to stop planned attacks.
His warning comes in the wake of a series of deadly terrorist attacks that have swept across Europe causing death and destruction.
On Friday, a 39 year-old Uzbek man, allegedly hijacked a beer truck and crashed it into a department store in Stockholm, killing four people and injuring 15.
Authorities revealed that the suspect was a failed asylum seeker who had been denied permanent residency in Sweden and had expressed sympathy for Islamic State.
But as the authorities wiped blood off the streets at the scene of the attack and reopened Queens Street to the public, Stockholm tried to return to normality today.
Many Swedes were back at work for the first time since the attack, while the department store into which the truck slammed had already reopened.
Yet, the attack shattered any sense Swedes had of being insulated from the militant violence that has hit other parts of Europe, raising questions about whether – in a society that takes pride in tolerance and liberal values – the police and security services could have done more to prevent it.
The attack was the third in Europe within three weeks, after London and St. Petersburg.
But it mirrored the bloodshed seen in Nice and Berlin last year, when a truck rammed pedestrians.
It also echoed the attack by Muslim convert Khalid Masood on Westminster Bridge in London on March 22.
The Westminster attacker killed five innocent people and injured dozens of others in the 82-second atrocity in Westminster, which ended with Masood, 52, being shot dead.
The Muslim convert used an SUV to mow down pedestrians walking along Westminster bridge before heading to parliament to stab a policeman.
His victims included: Andreea Cristea, 31, Leslie Rhodes, 75, Kurt Cochran, 54, and Aysha Frade, 44. His fifth victim, Pc Keith Palmer was laid to rest today as thousands of police officers lined the route of his funeral cortege.