Wannabe Islamic State jihadi bride released on bail despite collecting 1000 images of dead bodies and beheadings
Article RadarTHIS ARTICLE CONNECT:
- Islamic State ISIS is an Islamic extremist terrorist organization controlling territory in Iraq...[+]
Affected Countries: australia;
Commonwealth prosecutors will seek to appeal a court’s decision to grant bail to a young Melbourne woman accused of communicating with and assisting ISIS terrorists.
She is alleged to have collected nearly 1,000 images of ISIS propaganda, including pictures of dead people and beheadings, on her phone before her arrest last year.
The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, also allegedly professed her love for and promised to join a man who left Australia to fight for ISIS while under age and living at her parent’s home.
Now aged 23, the woman was granted bail in Melbourne Magistrates Court on Monday as she faces three charges including associating with and providing assistance to ISIS fighters.
Her father told the court he believed she had been ‘brainwashed’ and her views had since changed from that period between 2015 and 2016.
Her long-term goal was to become a midwife and live in Afghanistan, the court was also told.
Magistrate Ross Maxted agreed to release the woman on strict conditions including a $550,000 surety from her family and a ban on internet access.
The magistrate noted alleged offences were internet based and did not involve any physical activity.
Mr Maxted said while the case against the woman was not weak, it was not overly strong either.
He cited her young age, supportive family, the delay ahead of any trial and the length of sentence she’d likely receive if convicted.
Prosecutor Shaun Ginsbourg immediately flagged an intended appeal by Commonwealth prosecutors.
It means the accused will remain in custody while the appeal is dealt with.
A psychologist told the court the woman may have an intellectual or learning disability, and also suffered from an adjustment disorder, including anxiety and depression.
An additional charge of recruiting an ISIS fighter was previously dropped.
But prosecutors last month told the court the woman faced a separate charge for allegedly failing to provide the passcode for an iPhone when her family home was raided in 2018.
She allegedly communicated extensively with, professed her love for and promised to join ‘ginger jihadi’ Abdullah Elmir while still a child.
Elmir left Australia to fight with ISIS in 2014 and subsequently died.
Prosecutors said the woman turned her attentions to now-jailed American extremist Akram Musleh, acting as a conduit between him and other IS members.
Source: Daily Mail