Jamal Khashoggi death prompts legal appeal from Al-Qaeda convict
Article RadarTHIS ARTICLE CONNECT:
Affected Countries: saudi-arabia;
Ahmed Omar Abu Ali, an al-Qaeda convict reportedly said on October 2 that his sentence should be vacated because the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi shows Saudi Arabia lies about the brutality of its security forces. As per records, the convict belongs to Virginia and is serving life imprisonment for joining al-Qaeda and plotting to assassinate then-President George W. Bush.
Abu Ali was convicted in 2005 and a key piece of evidence for his confession was given in Saudi custody. The convict had earlier blamed Saudi Arabia’s internal security agency of torturing him to make him confess. Yet the country’s security agents had denied the allegations.
On the other hand, Saudi Arabia initially denied any responsibility for Khashoggi’s death. Even the son of Khashoggi, who has denied a financial settlement with the government, spoke out in defence of the kingdom on October 1 ahead of the first anniversary of the killing.
Salah Khashoggi said he had “full confidence” in the judicial system, and hit out at opponents he said were seeking to exploit the case. The Washington Post reported on April 1 that Khashoggi’s children, including Salah, had received multimillion-dollar homes and were being paid thousands of dollars per month by authorities.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan criticized the court proceedings in Saudi Arabia, which he said lacked transparency and maintained that some of Khashoggi’s murderers “enjoy de facto freedom.” The court proceedings “tarnish the image of Saudi Arabia,” Erdogan added.
A U.N. report released earlier this year asserted that Saudi Arabia bore responsibility for the killing and that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s possible role should be investigated. On Sunday, Prince Mohammed said in a television interview that he takes “full responsibility” for Khashoggi’s death but denied allegations that he ordered it.
Source: Republic World